Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The year end list

Another year winds down, and again I sit wondering where all the time went. People usually do a self analysis on their birthday, counting the things they have done, and regretting time lost. For me, it is always at the end of the year when I reminisce most. Before I make new plans, let me take stock. And what better way to do that than make a list. I actually made 2.

A. The 4 things that I wasted most time on
B. The 4 things that really inspired me


Four things I wasted time on (and what I believe the world did too)
1. Star Struck
I spent hours, reading about all the different famous people. Useless crap, but every morning, the previous day's gossip always accompanied me through my morning ablutions. Here are a few outstanding standouts...

Mallika Sherawat at the Cannes - So she likes to flaunt. So she can afford to. So she is a small town girl living her skyscraper dreams. Let her be. I have seen enough.

Fardeen Khan's wedding menu - So he got married. So he broke a lot of teenage hearts. So he can't act. But did I really need to know what guests ate at his wedding?

Sourav Ganguly - So he's lost his touch. So he wants to live on. So the Bengalis care. So the politicians butt in. So it's all the country can talk about. Team India, Bat on!

Khusboo - So she spoke out. So she believes in her freedom. So she hurt Tamil hypocritical, conservative sentiments. So she doesn't deserve her temple. She only spoke the truth.

Sania Mirza - So she made India proud. So she's got an attitude. So she needs to grow up. So she supports sex before marriage. So Times of India likes her belly button. So they want her to cover up. Sania, it's time you won a Grand Slam!

Bush and Cheney's ipod - So they like music. So they listen to songs. So they are fashion conscious. So they are human. Do we really need to know what Bush listens to and how Cheney charges his ipod?

2. Iraq, Saddam and the damned war against terrorism
Pages and pages each day, report the small advances the US Army makes, the deaths that the insurgency causes, the search for Laden, the captured President's trial...Oh what a waste of time! I can't even say "Bush, mind your own business", 'cause, he is. OIL!

3. Amitabh Bachan
Ya, he is a star. He should belong to point 1. But he is also so much more. Right now, he is Mr. India. With his every step, India shakes. With every breath, India gasps. With every word, India listens. I might be the only one, and this might be the most courageous thing I have ever said, but here goes. Retire Mr. Bachan, Retire!.

4. Mistakes on Times of India
Supposedly, India's most read paper. Supposedly, they get big stars, famous people to be guest editors. Supposedly, they know India like no one does. Yet, I spend hours correcting the mistakes on their front page. Are they so busy collecting news, that they forget to correct their pieces? Spell check, TOI! It's as easy as ABC.

Four things that inspired me
1. Rockstar INXS.
I admit, I am hooked on reality TV. Not all, but certainly some. This one does it for me. It might be edited, It might be dramatized. But seeing a bunch of really nice people singing their hearts out, really is inspiring. The Apprentice is good too, but I can easily tell the difference between competing for money and competing for a chance to sing on stage. There is just so much soul.

2. Tourism in India
I had the opportunity to travel through North India. Everywhere we went we saw foreigners. In some places we were the only Indians. Yes, the prices are all hiked, and the really good tourist spots, hotels only cater to these outsiders, but it is great to see India on the World map. It is a beautiful country and I am glad the tourism ministry is doing something right. Himachal, Rishikesh, Tamil Nadu, Goa, Kerala, these places are really bringing in the crowds.

3. Google, Microsoft and Apple.
Each doing their best. Boy. Geek. Innovation. Genius. Electronics. Gadgets. Toys. Need I say more?

4. Survival
Tsunami, Katrina, Rita, Lahore, Earthquake, Rain, Bombay, Water, Fire, Wind and Earth. There was no captain Planet, but the people survived. They walked on, hope burning bright. Every survival story, truly inspirational.

Through all this, through routine life, I got married. Six months. Six months too fast. The stars and celebrities might all break up, divorce, search for new love, and when they believe they have it, they repeat the cycle all over. And unlike VIPs, I have found my one true love. I have found my inner peace. This is it. Forever.
Next year I have someone to share all my time with.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and as though the Bush and Cheney podlists weren't bad enough...now BBC comes out with
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4585264.stm

jo...how about u put down my podlist on ur blog...

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home