Monday, January 09, 2006

New Year Resolutions

Here it is, the new year. Well, it came a week ago, but since that went by in a literal haze, here I am, slowly getting into the groove. First of the agenda, The Resolution. The first question you are always asked in the New Year is, "What are your resolutions?" I don't remember the last year that I made resolutions. I never know what to resolve to do.

This year I decided to research a little. When did this tradition start? According to a website I found, the tradition started with the Babylonians and they almost always resolved to return borrowed farm equipment. Ok, so it doesn't really apply to the world we live in today, but it was a start. I rummaged through my cupboards and didn't find anything that I had borrowed except a CD that I don't know who it belongs to as it isn't mine. If any of you is missing an assorted CD with boy band tracks, and no name on it, and two scratches, so tracks 2 and 3 don't play, let me know.

Searching further on the WWW, I found a website that lists the 10 most popular resolutions.

Top Ten Resolutions

1) Get a [better] job.
2) Get into shape.
3) Spend less or pay down debt.
4) Give up a habit (smoking, drinking, etc.)
5) Get a(n) [better] education.
6) Find a mate.
7) Take a trip.
8) Be more organized.
9) Find a hobby.
10) Buy a house or move.

Again, not much help, as I like my job, I am ideal weight (as expressed by Lord Venkateshwara himself), I am not in debt, I don't smoke and I drink occasionaly (not about to give that up), I have a beautiful wife that I love, I take lots of trips already, I am organized or atleast all my gadgets are, I love photography and I don't have enough money to buy a house yet.

So I am back to square one. So I thought hard, and I have come up with 4 things that I will resolve to do.

Four things I resolve to do

1. Be more attentive to the needs of others around, especially my wife. I certainly don't want resolution 6 to crop up next year do I.
2. Spend more time innovating. I realized recently that I enjoy building things. Be it a computer program or a multi-layered picture in photoshop. I am going to make what I do already, more interesting.
3. I resolve to spend less time (not give up entirely, coz that would be foolish) reading about stars and VIPs and spend more time reading good stuff.
4. Learn a language. Don't know which one yet, though I am inclined to go back to the little French I learnt, but I have the whole year to figure this one out.

So there, I succumbed to tradition and I have made my resolutions. It is time now, to try and keep them.


Happy New Year everyone, and what are your resolutions?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i haven't given it much thought but either of the following would work wonders for me:
a. to simplify
b. to not plan [but then am i not planning to not plan? argh]

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home