Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The dilution of emotions

Consider this. Yesterday, three gangsters were killed in an encounter within two kilometers of my apartment in Gurgaon. The three had more than 30 cases of murder against them, more cases of rape and were on Delhi's most wanted list. I saw the aftermath of the encounters on my way home from work, with hundreds of cops crowding and barracading the roads. I read about it in the paper this morning. But even as a supporter of death as the only justice for these extreme criminals, I wasn't ecstatic in reading the news. It was just another story and in fact it was not even front page news. Read the news...

Serial blasts had rocked the temple town of Varanasi, 12 people were killed and many more were seriously injured. I had been to Varanasi a few months ago, and though not a fan of the slightly ill-maintained town, believed in its sacredness to the Hindus. Thousands visit every year to praise Lord Krishna. It was a simple town with nothing but religion to its fame. It is sad that again, terrorists had to exercise and showcase their cowardly might on the innocent.

A few months ago they bombed markets in Delhi that are always thronged by families on their weekend shopping trips. Then they shot dead a professor in the hallowed academic grounds of the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore at an International conference that for me was closer to home than the shooting yesterday, as my father was the chairperson of the conference.

I remember reading a column a while ago on what it is that differentiates murders and rapes from terrorism and if we are not using the word "terrorist" too lightly. Maybe now I can explain my comments and thoughts on that a little better. Murderers bring fear and anger to the families that they victimize. Terrorists bring fear to an entire nation. One is as wrong as the other, but somewhat shamefully I can say now that I was more concerned about the police catching the temple bombers than the murderers and rapists they had already shot. Yes, my emotions towards crime have been diluted. Only terrorism angers me now. Atleast it takes precedence. This is what I've become now.

I wish this madness would stop.

Epilogue: The police have shot dead three terrorists who they believe to have been involved with the blasts. Read more here... and here...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it is frightening how many people just shrug off violence in the news. "Oh, a few more people dead, that's too bad..." Although, to be honest, there's so much crime in the world, perhaps being numb is better than the alternative.

For instance, when the whole controversy about the new torture law here in America was going on...when I realized that both Bush and Cheney seemed to support torture as "president's discretion," I stomped around the lab swearing and punching walls and telling people I thought the two of them should be put in a potato sack and kicked while their toenails are being removed until they admitted to giving oral pleasure to Monica Lewinsky.

I created a "hostile work environment." Not that anyone complained. Most people just laughed at me. But that's not the point. This anger can be spread to other people and ruin everyone's day. And what sort of benefit do we get out of it?

As a side note, I think capital punishment is a form of murder and is therefore not acceptable. :)

R

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home