Friday, March 24, 2006

J for Joker, Y for Yuppie, O for Orangutan, T for Tramp, H for Halfwit, and I for Ignoramus

Did you read the one about 11 year old Hari Bhanot suing Naukri.com for using the name Hari (Hari Sadu) in their ad? Newspapers should drop their sensationalism a notch and rewrite the title as "Father of 11 year old sues Naukri.com for name use" because isn't that the truth? Let's not drag the poor kid into this. We all know, this is not about him.

The father is suing Naukri.com on behalf of his son because he claims his son is being teased in school by other kids and that Naukri.com's ad was in bad taste, using such a common name. First of all, let me say that the ad itself is excellent. It achieves its purpose of bringing a smile to your face no matter how old you are. Second, 11 year olds will be teased by 11 year olds. Thats what they do. Third, I also Googled, to see if I could find one website that ranked 'Hari' in the top 10 indian names but to no success.

When I was 11, I was in a country where the kids at school were calling me Jayothi while the Indian kids were laughing at me asking me about my "girl" name. My name went through all kinds of permutations and combinations and none too complimentary. I was the uncool kid from the 4th world country who didn't know a note of reggae. I think back now, and I know, I won't trade any of it for anything.

Naukri.com responded to the father by asking him to approach the school and have them deal with the misbehaving kids. I agree. If you are so bothered that your kid is being a kid among kids, home school him. Let him learn your values. Ahem. Just to add, Mr. Aneesh Bhanot, the father, is suing for 1 crore Rupees. Ahem.

If he wins this case, I plead with TimesJobs to use my name in a similar fashion. I need some fast cash too. Also if anyone knows of an instance in ads, movies, wherever, where the names Jyothi, Karthik, or Raja have been used in an apparently demeaning manner please leave a comment. I promise to share the spoils with you. In the meantime I hope someone in that family grows up soon.

Kaun Hai Yeh Hari Sadu? and has the Real Hari Sadu heard about this yet?
Read news...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The naukri.com official response can be accessed here.

http://www.businesswireindia.com/PressRelease.asp?b2mid=9392

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its high time Indians stop copying American way of thinking (of suing for random reasons), it makes them extremely dumb.
I want to see the Naukri commercial now:).

While at it, anybody knows of the name Gayatri being used in a demeaning way by any organisation?

6:20 AM  
Blogger Karthik said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Karthik said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Karthik said...

What about the Nirmalas - the public toilets started by Infy?? That was in bad taste

10:57 PM  
Blogger Kshitij Sharma said...

Gayatri,
no one is stopping Mr Aneesh Bhanot from suing Naukri.com. It is not a question of Indians giving up their way of life and starting to behave all americanish... Let him do that. And its a question of chance, may be not Naukri.com, but some other organization might decide to pay money :-)

Similarly, no one can stop us from voicing our opinion and telling him how stupid it sounds.

Kshitij Sharma
http://www.planetarypositions.com

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

foods that lower cholesterol
lower cholesterol naturally | foods that lower cholesterol

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

paxil cr
ultram side effects - buy tramadol online cod -
ee.net/url/2859.html>generic fioricet
- buying carisoprodol

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home