Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sivaji - First Review

I live in Chicago and yet I saw one of the first shows worldwide of the Tamil movie Sivaji. It was a 10 pm show and the time now is 1:45 am. If I am up writing this review it is because I am now a Rajnikanth fan as much as I am a Kamal fan.

Like a true critic let me start with what I didn't like. This is one of Shankar's weakest movies in terms of plot and storyline. That's pretty much what I didn't like. But hey, this is a Rajni movie, the facts were missing but the figures were defintely there.

Even before the movie started we got free "prasadam". A cup of "chakara pongal". Imagine 250Indians waiting outside a Chicago theater eating pongal! Ha ha! The movie started with the usual Rajni stepping out of a car and slowly revealing his face to cheers, whistles and claps. I am not going to give anything away, no story here, but the movie did have all the Rajni bells and whistles. There were unique moves which will now become fashion in Tamil Nadu, there were dialogues which will now become regular rajnisms, there was his style which will never get old, and there was his attempt to preach to the nation though this time the message was blurred and weak. Vivek, played his part as well as he always does and everyone else was just accessories in the movie including the surprisingly un-southie looking Shriya. She has it all and she flaunted it well but she was nothing more than eye-candy.

I've never seen a Rajni film, first day, first show, and there was an excitement that I became a part of. I always wondered why people are so crazy about him, and today I realized that he has maintained through his many years, not only his perfectly fit body, but also his responsibility to the people. To show us all a good time. 3.5 hours and not a minute was I turning my face away.

It's late and I am sure there are more reviews being written now. I can tell you that this movie is worth watching. Watch it in a cinema and be part of the crowd. It helps. I will go sleep but not before trying to toss gum into my mouth by bouncing it off my hand or trying to toss a coin into my pocket or even just to wear my sun glasses behind my head. What a superstar!

Written by,
from now on I shall be called
Minsara Nayagan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home